Why does my lager taste like butterscotch

My test batch lager tasted of butterscotch once kegged... brew day below..

Well I did a test batch on my newly configured rig to get my eye in, I decided to use some random stuff I had laying around, which made me decide on a Vienna Lager. This sounded like a nice light beer to try and since its a lager I didn't put to much hops in my 'test' batch.

The recipe if anyone is interested was..
 Ingredients:
------------
Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU     
4.70 kg       Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)                     Grain        88.68 %      
0.40 kg       Munich I (Weyermann) (7.1 SRM)            Grain        7.55 %       
0.20 kg       Carapils (Weyermann) (2.0 SRM)            Grain        3.77 %       
50.00 gm      Hallertauer [6.30 %]  (60 min)            Hops         34.1 IBU     
10.00 gm      Hallertauer [6.30 %]  (5 min)             Hops         1.4 IBU      
1 Pkgs        SafLager West European Lager (DCL Yeast #SYeast-Lager

My brewtroller automation (well half automation) was working great, my water level bubbler system worked as designed, writing down madly on what is working and whats not getting a pretty long list of brewery upgrades also (which aren't done yet)

The brew went well and it was tucked away for fermenting. Now this is where I should have research a little more into lagers. I pitch my yeast at 14c and brought it down to 11c which I left until the fermentation had finished (1.006)  From this I kegged out and started with the c02.. What I should have done was do a Diacetyl Rests which i found on a great online book How to brew : By John Palmer

next time at the end of my fermentation I'll raise my temp to around 15c for 24-48hrs to get the yeast more active to eat the diacetyl. If you have a keg with Diacetyl i believe you can clean it up with a few techneques (I have not tried yet) you can google "diacetyl clean up" it should bring back some helpful hints , My keg got turfed down the drain.

For me, I think I'll try a Diacetyl rest in my next lager..

Comments

  1. Thanks for the warning! I don't mind a slight buttery malt taste in a pils, but I imagine that's different to a full on butterscotch. If you have any bottles that can't be cleaned up, save them as examples of the off flavour?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From what I've read it seems the flavour gets worse over time so if I kept a bottle i'd hate to taste it.... I did tip my keg and as I said you can fix it but I couldn't be bothered.. next time I might.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to Build a Kegerator

Rammstyle Brewery is alive!